AI Summary
Sign in to listen

Argentinian Deputy accuses Stake of unauthorized use of his name

Maximiliano Ferraro, the lawmaker behind a stalled problem gambling bill, said a domain using his name was registered and configured to redirect traffic to Stake.

2 min read
fake news
Key Points
Ferraro said a domain was registered by third parties without his authorization and configured to redirect traffic to Stake
Ferraro backed a bill restricting gambling advertising and addressing problem gambling that passed Argentina's Chamber of Deputies in November 2024 but was never taken up by the Senate

Argentinian Deputy Maximiliano Ferraro has denounced that third parties have created a website to redirect visitors to Stake's online betting platform.

The site, resembling his official site and using his name without authorization, was denounced by Ferraro in a social media statement. He added that the site had no connection to him and that he had taken legal action seeking the return of the domain, an immediate end to the redirection and sanctions against those responsible.

The lawmaker denied any connection with the platform or the activity it promotes. He said the incident was particularly serious given his role in promoting a bill aimed at preventing problem gambling and restricting gambling advertising. The bill passed the Chamber of Deputies on November 27, 2024, but was never taken up by the Senate.

Ferraro also said it was concerning that his identity had been used to benefit a company he described as having a history of international legal controversies and operating through cryptocurrencies. 

The case comes as Argentina's government pursues its own gambling harm prevention bill. Presented in May, the proposal focuses on illegal gambling and access by minors but does not include several restrictions on gambling advertising contained in Ferraro's bill, including bans on promotion through social media, influencers, public figures and sports sponsorships.

Stake faces legal action in the US, as Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier filed lawsuits against the company and other sweepstakes casino operators, alleging that their platforms constitute illegal online gambling under state law.

The case follows a similar incident reported in the Netherlands. On August 19, the Dutch Responsible Affiliates Quality Mark (KVA) said a website appearing to mimic the national suicide prevention helpline 113 had been used to promote at least 16 illegal gambling operators, including through offers of deposit bonuses and claims of no betting limits.

Good to know

Ferraro is President of the Coalición Cívica, the party founded by Elisa Carrió

Reaction Board

Set Global Gaming Insider to be your preferred search result

News Analysis

View All
Carl Fridik

NBO Secretary General: Norsk Tipping-Rikstoto merger could bring “a lot of problems”

Carl Fredrik Stenstrom questions the proposed merger, warning of uncertain financial consequences for horseracing and concerns over the process.

6 min read • • By Marieta Lezaic
Ethical-gaming-lead-image

Special report: The commercial perception and reality of ethical gambling today

In an in-depth report featuring multiple expert contributions, Global Gaming Insider unpicks the past, present and future of ethical gambling, examining what exactly it means to be a responsible actor in the modern gaming industry.

30 min read • • By Will Underwood
Philippines analysis

The Philippines: From record online growth to decline – can the market bounce back?

After a period of rapid growth, the Philippine online gaming industry is now tightening under new restrictions, as well as economic and political pressures.

6 min read • • By Marieta Lezaic

In The News

View All
Lotba
[ELEVATED IMPORTANCE]

Buenos Aires lottery meets with strategic planning council on responsible gambling

LOTBA presented its digital prevention strategy for minors and its enforcement plan against illegal gambling to a council chaired by the city's head of government.

· Responsible Gambling + 2